Online Training Course
Cloud Security Essentials
Empower your IT, cloud, and cybersecurity teams with the right baseline knowledge and skills to maintain a secure cloud environment.
Recent studies indicate that up to 97% of enterprise IT leaders are planning to distribute workloads across two or more cloud providers. The pandemic has increased pressure on multi-cloud efficacy and security as personnel have shifted to hybrid work environments.
CyberVista’s Cloud Security Essentials is an introductory program designed to help participants understand the security controls, systems, and platforms for cloud system deployment and implementation. With 5-7 hours of 100% online hands-on training, participants have 1:1 instruction where they can set the pace while learning practical skills. Private classes are available.
This course was intentionally designed to be vendor-agnostic because the majority of organizations use more than one cloud services provider. The topics covered provide a foundation of cloud security concepts, processes, and regulations that are applicable across multiple platforms.
It is recommended to have some experience in IT or computer networking, basic knowledge of security concepts, and hands-on skills with common security controls. However, there are no formal prerequisites.
There is a multitude of certifications an individual can pursue after taking the Cloud Security Essentials course. For entry-level or transitioning talent, CompTIA’s Security+ is the perfect introductory cybersecurity certification and Cloud+ for a direct career track in cloud computing. For individuals who are interested in training for a particular cloud provider, click here to see vendor-specific cloud certification training options.
Who should take this course?
This introductory course is designed to train new hires or individuals with limited experience in cloud and cloud security roles.
- IT Administrators who possess or aspire to take on more cybersecurity responsibilities as it relates to cloud computing.
- Cloud Professionals who need a better understanding of visibility and controls over securing cloud data.
- Security Professionals who use or provide cloud services that they need to secure for their stakeholders.
Benefits of Training
Organizations participating in this offering will experience the following major benefits:
- Vendor-agnostic instruction to better understand cloud security basics applicable to multiple cloud platforms.
- Effectively improve knowledge, skills, and abilities related to cloud security.
- Mitigate immediate risks related to enterprise cloud system deployment and implementation.
As a true foundational curriculum, the Cloud Security Essentials course spans six major units on security controls, systems, and platforms for secure cloud system deployment and implementation. Click on the sections below to see the expanded topic areas within each unit.
Unit 1: Cloud Concepts and Resource Security
This unit covers basic cloud concepts, resource types, policy types, and cloud configurations.
- Identify Different Cloud Resource Types
- Cloud Policy Types and Configurations
Unit 2: Cloud Access Management
This unit covers cloud IAM (Identity and Access Management) concepts, cloud segmentation, and further role-based controls.
- Cloud Resource Segmentation
- Role-Based Controls
Unit 3: Secure Cloud Storage
This unit covers storage types, access controls (with a focus on encryption), and configuration mechanisms.
- Cloud Storage Types
- Access and Encryption Controls
- Access and Configuration Mechanisms
Unit 4: Secure Virtual Networks
This unit covers secure communication configurations, endpoint protection mechanisms, and firewalls, and virtual security appliances.
- Secure Communication Configuration
- Secure Endpoint Protection Mechanisms
- Firewalls and Virtual Security Appliances
Unit 5: Secure Cloud Applications
This unit covers cloud development environments, secure deployment configurations, and monitoring services configuration.
- Cloud Development Environment for Coding and Automation
- Configure Secure Deployment and Access Mechanisms
- Configure Monitoring Services
Unit 6: Cloud Governance and Compliance
This unit covers security governance configuration, legal and regulatory compliance, and legal requirements for forensic data collection.
- Security Governance Configuration and Migration
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Legal Requirements for Forensic Data Collection
This course includes:
- Optional – Live Online Sessions
- 4.5 hours on-demand training videos
- 2-3 hours of guided labs
- 15 question diagnostic exam
- 15 question final exam
- 60 knowledge check questions
- Performance Tracker
Request more information on training options for your cybersecurity teams. Private classes are available.
Cloud Security Essentials FAQs
Does this course train to a specific cloud provider?
No. This course is intentionally designed to be vendor-agnostic, or non-vendor specific, because the majority of organizations manage more than one cloud service provider.
How is training delivered?
The standard training modality of the course is video-on-demand. Participants have access to all training tools including video lessons, guided labs, knowledge checks, and more within our proprietary LMS for 180-days. Live online instruction is available upon request.
Does this course train towards a certification?
No. While certain units and topics may reflect select certifications, the intended purpose of the Cloud Security Essentials course is not to prepare for an exam but to cover the foundational concepts, processes, and regulations related to cloud security.
What are recommended subsequent courses?
There are several options for participants to take after completing the Cloud Security Essentials course. The CompTIA Security+ certification is ideal for entry-level practitioners seeking their first security credential. Alternatively, CompTIA also offers Cloud+ which covers more general cloud computing subject matter. For individuals using a specific cloud provider, there are multiple vendor-specific certification training courses available, including AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.
Who are the instructors of the course?
- David Cho, Research and Development Manager, CISSP, CEH, CySA+, Security+
- Joshua Hester, Executive Director of Certification and Professional Training, PMP, PMI-ACP, CEH, CFR, CyberXF, OCP-JP, MCSD
- George Monsalvatge, Content Manager, PMP, CSA+, Security+, Project+, CTT, Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator: Windows Server, Windows 10
Is a certificate of completion available?
Yes! Participants receive a digital badge once they have successfully completed the course. This badge can be displayed on social profiles or email signatures. Click here to learn more about CyberVista’s digital badging.